Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Careers, Yes They Do Exist




In the beginning of this semester I wanted to do a project based off of careers in the theatre department because my talk with Andrea led into talk about how people tend to stray away from a theatre major and minor because of their friends and family telling them that there are no jobs for anyone with a theatre major. This hit a personal home base with me because I've been told that many time throughout my life. I originally had planned on making posters since participation from the art department was so scarce but when we had two visitors come into our class and talk about their lover project I had to take from that. This project consisted the process of me researching the whole semester on certain jobs and careers that Andrea had told me about in the beginning as well as the sheet she handed to me (in my folder). The next part of the process was deciding which careers to choose and use to make the letters. I narrowed down my process to thirty and then bought a stack of small cards and envelopes and began to write my messages. Each letter contained a different career and a different message about how they came to that process or what's next on the agenda as well as having their own personality different from the last in the way it was written. Some of these careers included education, and jingle writer, ticket booth worker, director, and so on. I had also addressed each letter differently saying "To You,To whom it may concern", and so on to make them inviting to people. I decided to hold this project within the week of exams December 8th and on because of graduation and another semester passing by. I mostly left them around the theatre but I had also placed them around the campus in the dining hall, rotunda, student center and other places so that other majors can see these letters and start thinking about the different options that a person within the field of theatre has. I'm not going to lie, I forgot to take photos after I placed them but I took these photos above while in the process of making them. Each day I left them in those certain locations within the spaces between books in the library, in a bush, on a desk in Kenan and I started noticing that some of the letters were disappearing while others were being moved. People were picking them up and looking at them. Which is another reason why I didn't want to take a photo because it was a sort of personal project. I count this project as 2 projects because the theatre department is hard to work with since they have productions and other things going on and because of all of the research and processes I had to take while thinking and making them. I also had showed a friend each of them who works in the writing center to make sure some of them were grammatically correct and sounded different from others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment